Friday, April 07, 2006

Report From 2006 April Fools East

Breaking form by not writing about things that happened eons ago....

But I did want to mention the results of playing in April Fools East this past weekend.

[Yes, that is this weekend, as in April 2006, not April 1986]

Jim P. has already recapped the tourney from his perspective here.

Here is my quick take on the affair.

For me, ShortFatGuys encompasses some of the best things about playing ultimate.

There are old familiar faces. There are new young faces.

There are the same old (yet still hilariously funny) jokes. There are always new stories.

There is the joy of playing for playing's sake. There is the rush of adrenaline that comes with competitiveness and fighting for victory.

There are moments of acheivement and excitement. There are debacles on the sidelines and in the shotgun races.

I was pleased that I personally could still get around on the field without embarrassing myself against the youngsters. I was shocked at how effective some of the Old Guard still is (Jimmy P., Coop coming out of retirement, Cork, Bim, Simon, Gary, Pablo, Paul Ferrari with his sick layout block at the end, and of course Worm). The Goff brothers (Adam and Marshall) are still too young (read: under 40) to be surprising in their abilities. And of course, despite what else we say, we would have been crushed without the young studs: Hunt, Matt, Chris, Jay, Jorah (almost an old man).

I want to take a moment to thank all my teammates from this year. And, for that matter, for each of the previous 20 years of various amalgamations of ShortFatGuy squads. Thanks for always having a healthy mix of striving for glory tempered with a dose of perspective and desire to have fun.

We'll win it all next time!

And if not, then we will have the most FunFunFun.

(Since I can't seem to add a photo directly to the post, here is a link for this year's team photo.
Gary is holding the sign on the left, I am on the right. Only two original ShortFatGuys left. Worm is not shown.)

3 Comments:

At April 07, 2006 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jorahs like 32 years old.
'almost old?'

luke

 
At April 10, 2006 6:50 AM, Blogger Billy said...

Luke,

Everything is relative.
When I was playing on the Boot and Barney was trotting his sorry 32 year old carcass out onto the field, I thought he might need to call a geritol time out.

Now, at nearly 41, I look at most 32 year olds as uppity whipper snappers.

Jorah is an old 32. Mainly because he has good throws and doesn't need to run around as much as me to get open.

 
At September 20, 2006 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

34. Get your facts straight, Smith!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home