Thursday, November 17, 2005

OK ... So Alex (over at http://countal.blogspot.com ) challenges me to write about ultimate back when the mighty allosaurus roamed the earth.

I think to myself, "I can do that. Uh, what was the stall count back then??" Actually, I am not old enough to have played before the stall count was lowered to 10, but I did play with Barney Bruner from by-gone Condor and Flying Circus days. I remember him recalling that when they lowered the stall to 10 seconds, he was thinking, "10 seconds!?! Now we'll never get a throw off!" Funny. At least it was to me.

Another mind warping recollection from those days. I used to think that Barney was WAY too old to still be playing ultimate. "I mean, look at him. He's still got the throws, but at the age of 32, you just can't get around the field like us young pups."

Now I'm looking back from the far side of 40 years old and still trying to chase the kids around the pitch. How pitiful. Or maybe not completely. I still get the occasional, "Man! You sure are fast!" But now, more often than not, it is immediately followed by, "For an old guy."

Ah, well.

2 Comments:

At November 17, 2005 5:50 PM, Blogger Luke said...

you have a great blog. come visit my blog and learn about vitamins.


ahem. regarding whippersnappers. do you ever, like, pretend you can't hear them? you know, like reagan used to do?


or, 'you young punk. if we lived in a major metropolitan area i'd have made you ro cham bo your way on to the team.'

or 'hush, child. kids who disrespect their elders will have their livers stolen in their sleep by the worm'

 
At November 17, 2005 9:06 PM, Blogger parinella said...

What I like to do at an early practice is to yell, "Hey, you" or "Hey, new kid, I'm open!"

And I thought they always said you were fast for a short guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home